Monday, October 08, 2007

Shortstacking, The Overshove & Other Chit

I went back and read some of my old blogs (when I was actually a winning player) around the end of 2005 and found something that I have not done in a long time which is short-buying into a cash game. I decided to give it a try and over three sessions os far it has worked well.

I have been buying into the 0.25/0.50 NL games with a half buy-in of $25. So far after a VERY small sample size of 101 hands I am up $61. One other thing I have been toying with is the overshove. I have tried it twice so far in these sessions with the nuts or near nuts and have been paid off nicely.

FullTiltPoker Game #3754564814: Table Fabian - $0.25/$0.50 - No Limit Hold'em - 13:48:25 ET - 2007/10/04
Seat 1: scottc25 ($40.30)
Seat 2: edogharris ($18.80)
Seat 3: damioluke ($20)
Seat 4: djgaming ($51.95)
Seat 5: sylverfox ($44.85)
Seat 6: Bigfishie ($21.50)
Seat 7: cocobongo33 ($54.65)
Seat 8: AmpedRL ($99.35)
Seat 9: krijoh ($47.95)
AmpedRL posts the small blind of $0.25
krijoh posts the big blind of $0.50
5 seconds left to act
damioluke posts $0.50
The button is in seat #7
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to scottc25 [6h 6d]
scottc25 calls $0.50
edogharris calls $0.50
damioluke checks
djgaming folds
sylverfox folds
Bigfishie folds
cocobongo33 folds
AmpedRL has 15 seconds left to act
AmpedRL calls $0.25
krijoh checks
*** FLOP *** [Kh 8s 6s]
AmpedRL checks
krijoh checks
scottc25 bets $2
edogharris calls $2
damioluke calls $2
AmpedRL has 15 seconds left to act
AmpedRL folds
krijoh folds
*** TURN *** [Kh 8s 6s] [7c]
scottc25 bets $37.80, and is all in
edogharris folds
damioluke calls $17.50, and is all in
scottc25 shows [6h 6d]
damioluke shows [7s 5s]
Uncalled bet of $20.30 returned to scottc25
*** RIVER *** [Kh 8s 6s 7c] [7h]
scottc25 shows a full house, Sixes full of Sevens
damioluke shows three of a kind, Sevens
scottc25 wins the pot ($41.35) with a full house, Sixes full of Sevens
damioluke is sitting out


This isn't the greatest example but you can get where I am going. With a set here I am most likely getting it all-in on the river unless a space or a 4 straight comes on board. Why not just do the overshove against someone who is holding a straight or flush draw or even a overpair or top pair. People in the loer limits equate overshove to draws or weak hands. Most of these scenarios if they miss on the end you are not going to get a dime out of them. It's worked so far. We will see what the rest of the month brings.

The CHIMPS poker series kicked off last week with good success. Check out the web site at www.chimpspokerseries.com . I lost about 2/3 of my stack in the 20/40 level when I flopped the nut flush. I bet out and was raised and I called. I check called the turn. The river paired the board and I check called to someone who filled-up on the end. I was proud ofmy battle back to make the final table and 9th place finish.

I played Beat The Dead HORSE on Wednesday and finished as the bubble boy in 4th. The Pokerslut tour was a disaster ast night when I finished 13th/14 in the Stud event. After it started I didn't fell like playing and my decisions showed it. I was falling asleep before the event started and I still decided to play.

FTOPS VI is starting in a month or so and they have added a $100 Stud8 tournament to the mix. I definately plan to play in this one. I need more Stud8 tournament practice though. Most of my experience has been in just cash games.


PROP BET

Not really a true prop bet, more liek a freeroll. I have a bet with my wife that I can get down to 180 by WSOP time. I am currently at 197 which is the most I have weighed in about 4 years. My real goal is 175 but I like to set my sights low. IF I lose I am going to give her a $500 shopping spree of her choice. This shouldn't be that much of a challenge since I am less than two years removed from running a 1/2 marathon. I started running Saturday. Anyone else want action on this bet??????

No comments: