Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Streak is Over????

In my five live cash game sessions since the laws changed 7/1 I have shown a profit each session, until Friday. I was able to get in a three hour session. I started at a new table with a full $100 buy-in. On the 4th hand I am UTG with Q,Q. I raise it up to 8 and get 3 callers. The flop comes Q,x,x with two diamonds. The BB leads for 20, I raise to 50 and the BB calls. The turn is a diamond. He shoves for his last 25 and there is way too much money in there to fold top set. I call and he shows 9,9 with one diamond. The river bricks and I am over $200 right away.

After that hand I lose two big pots to the same player. The first hand a tight player raises to 8 before the flop and I am the only caller from the SB with KsQs. I am sure I lose more with this particular hand than any other. The flop come Q,10,x. I check call a $15 bet. The turn is a blank and I check. He shoves for his last $30 and its up to me. Here is where I just need the discipline to fold these hands. I see how much is in the pot and just can't seem to fold here. I call and he shows 10,10 and I'm drawing dead.

The next big hand I get A,J in the SB. Its called in 5 spots and I check my option in the BB. There is something to be said here for raising which I think is the correct play. I decided to call here and just see what the flop brings. The flop comes A,10,7. I lead out for 12 and get 2 callers. The turn is a J giving me top 2. I lead for 20, get raised to 40 and the 3rd player shoves for a total of 65 or so. Now this just has to be an easy fold. With a raise and a reraise how can top 2 be good here? The lady who raised I don't give too much credit to. I can easily put here on two pair based on the crap she has been playing. The solid player I can give credit for a good hand. I decide to re-raise here to get the lady out. At the time I don't give the solid player K,Q as I think he raises pre-flop here. He turns over 9,8 for the straight. I totally didn't see that hand coming. After the hand I had to rebuy to get up to $100 again.

I'm now stuck for $100 in the session. I start playing a ton of pots after playing tight, solid poker. I am quickly down to $60 when I get J,J in late position. Some ahead of me raises to $12 and I repop for $30. He folds and I take it down.

The next hand to bring me bacj I get Ah6h in late position and limp. We go to the flop 5 or 6 handed and it comes 10h9h8h. Its checked to me and I bet $5 and get 2 callers. The turn is a 4h. Its checked to me again and I bet $10 and both call. Huh. The river is an offsuit J. Its checked to me again and I bet $20 and both call again. One shows the Kh and the other has the Qh. I wonder how much the would have both called on the river. I might have made the most on the river there. If I bet $15 on the turn maybe I get more, who knows.

The last big hand of the session I get A,J in middle position and raise to $9. I get 2 callers and the flop comes K,8,x. Its checked all around. The turn is another 8. One check and I lead out for $20 and the player behind me calls. The river is a 9. I think the only way I am winning this hand is with a sizeable bet. I counted all of my chips which was around $125 or so. I decide to throw out $35. He thinks for a second and folds. Whew.

I ended up leaving with $200, exactly what I put in. This was the ? in the title. Is the streak still alive or is it dead. Either way I really need to work on calling those big bets where I can make a strong case for folding, especially when I am holding top pair. Its just hard sometimes to do it when you see these players betting with less than the goods. Oh well, live and learn.

1 comment:

gadzooks64 said...

Anytime you don't lose money it's a winning session.

You got to play a couple hours of enjoyable (?) poker for free.

That's a win in my book.