Sunday, December 16, 2007

Gambit's December Home Game

The home game this week was a profitable one for me despite how I did in the tournament portion (more about that in a second). This is going to make an interesting thread on the CCN boards as well.

The first game of the night was LHE. On one of the first hands of the night I picked-up pocket 9's and hit a set on the turn when everyone checked the flop. was ahead the rest of the night after that hand. I also made a set of 9's again on the turn when we were playing NLHE and won a medium sized pot.

Now the two interesting hands of the night.....

The first one comes when we are playing NLHE. It's .25/.25 blinds and the with a cap of $20 per player on the hand. Cosenza makes it $2 to go from the cutoff. I look down at A,A from the BB. I decide to ship in the $20 right here. If he has a reasonable hand he is probably gonna call and if he doesn't he is going to fold if I make it $8 anyway. He takes only about 15 seconds and decides to call with J,J. That's just terrible in my opinion. I want to know what he put me on there. If he is thinking A,K then wow. I would never shove that much in a cash game with nothing. My range is probably A,A K,K any maybe Q,Q.

The second head scratcher of the night came in the tournament. I am in the BB with 1150 in chips and the blinds are at 50/75. Cosensa makes it 200 to go UTG+1. Its folded to me and I look down at 10,10. If I make a raise in this spot I think I am pretty much committing myself for all of my chips. I could have made it 500 and may be able to lay down a hand if a scary board flops. There is also an argument for a call here.

Anyways, I end up shoving for the 1150 and Chris (who has me covered by around 500 or so) says "I'm sick and tired of people coming over the top of my raises. Fuck it, I call." And he shows....................... K,J.

What the fuck was he thinking here!!!!! This is an absolutely brutal call IMO. Does he actually think his K,J is ahead here? When I shove in this spot here are the hands I am going to do it with:

A,A
K,K
Q,Q
J,J
10,10
A,K

That's it. Of those 5 hands he happened to be up against the ONLY hand that he is a coin flip against. As you can guess he ended up turning a Jack and I was busted from the tournament in 7th.


Willhopper, lets hear your thought processes on these hands.

No comments: